The best French bread is made with challah, a traditional Jewish braided bread.
But normal bread is a good substitute, especially whole wheat, which has a better and richer flavor than white bread.
French toast is an easy breakfast that takes little time to prepare but starts your morning off on a delicious note.
Ingredients: (1-2 servings)
2 pieces of bread, halved widthwise
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
1. Over medium-low heat, melt a tablespoon of butter. While the butter is melting, combine eggs, milk, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
2. Dip the bread into the egg mixture and let soak for a few seconds on each side. Place in the pan. Repeat for each piece of bread.
3. Let each piece cook for a couple minutes until golden brown on the underside. Flip and cook on the other side.
4. If there is an excess of the egg mixture of the piece of bread, you may notice that the egg mixture starts to cook and resemble an omelette or scrambled eggs. You can remove this with a spatula.
5. Once each piece has cooked, serve, top with maple syrup, and enjoy.
(Powdered sugar is also good, but maple syrup is more traditional.)
Image credit: 1