Friday, December 5, 2014

Thanksgiving

What a joy it was to be back in my own kitchen! To have counter space and a double oven and a gas stove and Le Creuset to cook with and my trusty Silpat to bake on! It was a foodie's dream to be home in kitchen I know and love. (Seeing my family was nice, too, I suppose.)

To me, Thanksgiving is about family and the love that we share. Nothing represents that like food for us. It is such an important aspect in my family's life. I think I speak for all of us when I say that eating  and enjoying good food is a priority. We eat to live, so why not live to eat?

There was the turkey, of course, cooked to a golden perfection:


There was a slight mishap with the turkey, however. It was quite heavier than turkeys we've had in the past, as this one was a whopping twenty pounds. When my father brought it out of the oven, the aluminum pan bent under the weight. Cooking juices went everywhere and we almost lost the turkey. Thankfully, though, both father and turkey survived, and we still had enough cooking juice to make the gravy. Our golden retriever, Jeeves, helped clean up the mess:


I made the rolls, as I do every year. I used this recipe for potato rolls. (I also have the cookbook these came from, and it is fabulous!) The potatoes and the water the potatoes were cooked in make the rolls perfectly light and chewy and the perfect way to sop up extra gravy. With the extra dough, I made a challah-like braided loaf.




All of the food was delicious, from the turkey to the mashed potatoes (completely homemade, of course) to the pumpkin pie at the end. It was hard going back to my two-butt kitchen, but at least there's only one more week until Christmas break.



No comments:

Post a Comment