Monday, October 27, 2014

Chocolate Galore!

We're a bit obsessed with chocolate here in apartment F. On any given day, you can find cocoa powder, chocolate chips, chocolate candy, hot chocolate powder, chocolate cookies and granola bars, chocolate-covered cranberries, and Nutella in our pantry.

Apartment F is a wonderful place to live.

Last night, our kitchen looked like an explosion of chocolate. My roommate was making chocolate-covered espresso beans and I was experimenting with a chocolate-peanut-butter-cake-in-a-mug.

Caffeine and sugar and chocolate are wonderful things.

This picture of my lovely roommate accurately sums up the night.
I followed this recipe for my cake. I recently discovered Chocolate-Covered Katie, and it is a great blog with so many wonderful recipes. (I'm planning to make her Secret Peanut Butter Cookies soon. Watch for that post!)

All the ingredients combined. No eggs, so you could just stop here and eat the dough!
A little hard to see, but this is the finished, microwaved cake.
The recipe calls for peanut butter flour, which I don't have. I followed the advice of one of the commenters and substituted 3 tablespoons of normal flour for peanut butter flour and 2 tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter for the oil.

Yummy!
The overall taste of the cake was good, but the texture was a little dry and tough. If I make this again, I'm planning to add in chocolate chips and increase the peanut butter a little bit to make it moister. I'll also probably microwave it for 45 seconds instead of a full minute. And probably use smooth instead of crunchy peanut butter.

My roommate had better luck. She melted about half a bag chocolate chips in a Pyrex glass bowl in the microwave. She then took the espresso beans, dipped them in the chocolate, and rolled them in cocoa powder.




Ingredients for altered chocolate peanut butter cake:
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons peanut butter (I would suggest possibly adding 1-2 teaspoons more of peanut butter)
1/16 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plue 1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine wet ingredients and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Add dry ingredients into wet. Combine well. Transfer to a microwave-safe container. (I used a coffee mug.) Microwave for 45-60 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment